Monday, April 15, 2013

Boston Marathon Bombing...

Today two bombs went off at the Boston Marathon finish line. I'm sure that by now everyone reading this will have heard all about it (if you haven't click here). I felt the need to vent a little, so naturally, here I am! 
When I heard about the movie theater shooting in Colorado I was heartbroken. When I heard about the shooting at Sandy Hook I could hardly stop crying. Today, when I heard about the bombings, I was angry. I was furious. Enough is enough. Why is everyone so violent? What is the problem here? I've heard all about gun control, mental health programs, etc., but none of that seems like the definite answer. Why do these random acts of violence keep happening? I decided to look back at America in years past. We've fought wars and dealt with individual crimes, but I couldn't remember a time in American history when we had this much violence in the form of mass murders. That's when it hit me...the media. Maybe this isn't the whole answer, but it makes a ton of sense to me. We've always had mentally ill and violent people. The difference is that now, if they do something horrible on a large scale, they become infamous. Sure, everyone hates them and they will (hopefully) end up dead, but they're also never forgotten. To a mental ill person who has nothing to live for anyway, being remembered forever seems like a great way to die. 
This incident really got me. All of the other tragedies that have happened lately have been extremely upsetting. Still, this one hit home and scared me way more than any of the others. I guess this is mostly because I've run a marathon myself. Who's to say the next race I run won't be bombed as I'm crossing the finish line? It also just breaks my heart. I can tell you from personal experience that there is almost no greater feeling than crossing that finish line. Today, not only were people robbed of that moment, that they worked so hard for, but a few lost their lives. 
I guess that for now all we can do is pray. Pray for this nation, this world, and everyone in Boston. 


No comments:

Post a Comment